Social Media is what you make it

Friday, November 06, 2015


                       -   S  O   C   I   A   L          M   E   D   I   A   -

My next post (this one) was originally going to be about my trip to brisbane for my birthday, however with all of the social media thoughts going around I thought I would write about it.
Social media may be a lie to some people, but it isn't to every one. Not all of us get paid for posting on social media, not all of us post to get likes, not all of us care about followers, not all of us care about what people think and not all of us have spent most of our teenage years being involved with social media.

I know, I didn't get a phone until I was about 15 and it was nothing like an iphone or the phones these days. I played outside after my homework, almost every day. I played sports growing up, netball and soccer as well as dancing. 
I have my instagram on private for a reason and only accept people I know, I don't care if i get a like or i don't, just posting a photo that I enjoy myself is enough.

Yes, everyone is probably guilty for scrolling through social media apps every now and then but that is okay. 
I don't believe that everyone is 'addicted' to their phones.

I still print photos out at the shops and put them into albums, I still read books (REAL BOOKS not one from technology devices), I still write with my hand into a journal, I still draw, I still use a physical calendar, I still take photos with my cameras and still hang out with friends.

There is a real sense of joy from getting a good photo on a camera and a real happiness from reading an actual book (The smell is my favourite thing) and writing using a pen.
Some people may write on their computer or whatever they like but I just love that it is a physical thing, that you can keep it for life.

I feel sorry for those who have gotten completely sucked in to societies standards and social media. You know, it is okay to use it facebook and all that. I use it because I talk to friends and family that live over seas, facebook is a way to connect with people, new or old friends.

I used to know someone who cared so much about what they looked like or how they thinks they should look like and how many likes they would get, to the point where they would delete photos if it didn't get any or many likes.
To me, it was the most ridiculous thing I had ever heard or seen.


You can still use social media without getting sucked in, you can still use it and have time to do real things like I do above.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy talking on the phone to people. I like the old school way, I actually wish that 'home phones' were in still because wouldn't it be rad to have a funky one in your room.
You know, there is always something going around which people say that relationships aren't the same, social media ruined them...but I believe a relationship is what you make it, just like social media is what you make it.


What do you think of social media and technology these days? 


Basically social media is what you make it. 


From Natalia xx

You Might Also Like

0 comments